Identifying and Avoiding Phone Scams
Every year, people report fraud, identity theft and bad business practices to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and law enforcement partners. According to FTC data, nearly 3 million people reported fraud in the past year, and 1 in 4 said they also lost money. The median loss in scams that start with a call is $1,200, higher than any other contact method.
As such, the chances are likely that you have or will be on the receiving end of a phone scam.…
Insurance For Newlyweds – Things To Think About
Here are some things to think about when it comes to carrying insurance as a couple. Use the topics in this article as a way to start a discussion about your insurance needs. We can then help you narrow down your options.
If you and your spouse have separate auto insurance policies, it may be wise to combine them. Get quotes from each of your carriers, and shop around to see if any others offer multivehicle discounts.
Keep in mind that it may not always make sense to bundle your car insurance policies.…
Throwing A Party At Home? Have Fun. Be Smart.
Hosting a party at your home can be a fun way to connect with your friends and family. However, it’s important to ensure that your guests will be safe and secure while you’re hosting them.
Here are some considerations for protecting guests and your home during a party:
- Slips and falls are the most common dangers in residential properties. To protect your guests, clear your driveway and make sure that rugs or cords don’t create tripping hazards.
- If you serve alcohol during a party, you can be held liable for a guest who becomes intoxicated and then drives home.
Basics of Extended Homeowners Replacement Coverage
When purchasing coverage for their home, too many policyholders often make the mistake of simply insuring it for the resale value. However, should a flood, storm or other event occur, they may find that the cost to rebuild far exceeds the original purchase price. This discrepancy can occur for a variety of reasons, including inflated construction costs following catastrophic events that impact multiple homes in a particular area.
To truly protect themselves, extended replacement coverage is essential. This form of coverage provides a benefit over and above the policy limits for replacing a damaged house.…
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists
Unfortunately, many people wrongly assume that auto and umbrella insurance policies will provide reimbursement for all aspects of an accident on the road. Instead, both of these policies cover your own liability and provide compensation to others in the event that you are responsible for an accident. However, if another driver causes an accident and doesn’t have enough insurance coverage to compensate you, your own auto or umbrella policies may not be enough.
If another driver doesn’t have enough insurance coverage to pay for your medical bills, you could face extremely high costs or lengthy court battles.…
Latest Safety Features for New Car Shoppers
Vehicle technology seems to advance each year, as new features improve driver and passenger safety. The following are just a few driver-assist features to be aware of the next time you’re in the market for a new vehicle:
- Adaptive cruise control: This type of cruise control automatically speeds or slows down your car based on the actions of the vehicles in front of you. This tool can help reduce the likelihood and severity of rear-end collisions.
- Automatic braking: Automatic braking devices are designed to reduce the severity of high-speed collisions in the event of a lapse of driver attention.
The Independent Agent Advantage
What do I give up by not using a licensed independent agent to purchase insurance?
The disadvantage of not using a licensed agent to purchase insurance is that the policyholder does not receive as much, or often any, personal service. A licensed agent with whom there is direct contact can be vital when purchasing a product and absolutely necessary when filing a claim. Without an agent to act as your personal advocate during the claims process, you are left to take care of the details on your own.…
Lightning and Summer Storms
Lightning storms are incredibly dangerous and more deadly than tornadoes, floods and hurricanes. When a storm is on the verge of striking your area, you need to know the steps to take in order to protect your family and home.
Use these tips to stay safe during a lightning storm:
- Seek shelter in an enclosed building, if possible.
- If you are in a car, stay inside and keep the windows securely rolled up.
- Do not use a small shed, pavilion or lean-to as shelter—they do not provide enough protection.
Quick Tips for Safe RV Usage
Recreational vehicles (RVs) can be a fun way to see the country and spend time with your family. However, because they’re bigger and heavier than an average car, there are additional hazards that come with owning and operating an RV.
Many RV accidents can be avoided by following these helpful tips:
- Know the weight capacity of your RV.
- Perform a complete pre-trip inspection. Check the tire pressure, tread depth, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, belts, oil levels, hitch and other towing equipment, and windshield wipers before leaving.